Dozens of Youth Congress workers from Punjab and elsewhere were injured when police used lathicharge and lobbed tear gas shells to stop them from marching to the Punjab Assembly here this afternoon.
The Youth Congressmen were on their way to gherao the Assembly, which is in session, to protest the alleged failure of the SAD-BJP regime on all fronts and against the “anti-people” policies of the state government, when they were stopped by policemen at Sector 42 here.
According to the police, they first tried to persuade the thousands of protesters not to proceed further, but when the Youth Congressmen did not relent, they used tear gas and lathicharged them.
Youth Congress Punjab unit president Ravneet Singh Bittu, who is also Congress MP from Anandpur Sahib, termed the police’s charge,that some protesters had pelted stones at the policemen, as baseless.
Bittu, whose clothes were torn in the scuffle with the police, told reporters that they were holding a peaceful protest.
He said dozens of their workers and some leaders had sustained injuries and the President of Ludhiana Rural wing of the Youth Congress Lakhbir Singh Lakha had sustained serious injuries while Indian Youth Congress leader Vikas Upadhyay was also among those injured. Lakha was admitted to the PGIMER here, he said
- Welding gas cylinder explodes 1 dead,5 hurt
- Congress walk-out during Governor’s address
- Opposition members’ voice being muzzled: HP Congress
- Woman’s body found in a bag, police hunt for accused
- It is a non-budget: Capt Amarinder
- Capt questions ‘double murder accused’ as VB chief
- Technocrats clash with police in Jammu
- PSA against ten youth quashed by J&K High Court