In a case of fratricide, an Army jawan opened indiscriminate fire allegedly killing four of his colleagues and injuring another inside a camp in Bijbehara area of Anantnag district in the wee hours .
The jawan, who was arrested soon after the incident, fired at his colleagues at the 42 Rashtriya Rifles camp at Bijbehara, 45 kms from here, an Army spokesman said.
A junior commissioned officer (JCO) and three jawans were killed while another jawan was injured in the incident, the spokesman said.
The spokesman did not divulge the name of the arrested jawan or his victims. He said an investigation has been launched to ascertain the circumstances which led the jawan to open fire.
Senior army officials have rushed to the spot. This is the first incident of fratricide in the Army in the Valley in the past nearly two years.
- BJP organised a free medical camp for the slum dwellers
- One killed in Army firing in Kupwara, locals protest
- Heavy firing on Indian posts in Poonch by Pakistan
- Sikh victim of Elk Grove shooting succumbs to injuries
- Fire breaks out in DTC bus
- 10 houses gutted in Kashmir fire
- Fire dept sends notices to schools, offices & restaurants
- Major fire at plastic scrap market in Mundka
- Pune Army Sports Institute wins AK Mishra Boxing Championship
- Landslide kills 5 of family in Doda