Punjab Congress chief Amarinder Singh strongly opposed conversion of the historic Khalsa College in Amritsar into a private university saying in case the Akali-BJP government went ahead with the decision the party will reverse it if voted back to power.
Addressing a public rally, first in a series of assembly constituency rallies being organised by the party, Singh described Khalsa College, Amritsar, as part of Punjabi heritage and accused the Badal family of trying to convert it into a private university in connivance with the relatives of Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Badal.
It is part of a larger plan of the Badals to grab the prime land and sell it for peanuts to their favourites as they had done with the Punjab Institute of Medical Sciences (PIMS) in Jalandhar, the former Punjab chief minister said.
He said if voted back to power, the first decision of his government will be to cancel the PIMS allotment and in case the Badal government went ahead with converting the Khalsa College into a private university that decision will also be reversed along with the PIMS.
Thanking people for turning up in large numbers for the rally, he said he had chosen Patti in the Majha area for the public meeting since it had been “ignored by the Akali-BJP government.”
If Congress returns to power it will ensure proper development of the area as it was his government which had made Tarn Taran a district, he said. The former Chief Minister accused the Akali-BJP government of pushing Punjab too far behind even the worst performing states in the country.
“There is no industrialisation and employment generation. Youth seeking jobs are being mercilessly beaten up and put behind the bars while industry is being forced to move out,” he alleged.
Referring to Sukhbir’s promise of making Punjab power surplus within two years, he said even four years after his commitment it remains power deficit state.
- Khalsa College is now Khalsa University
- Watch Day & Night Special on Khalsa College Amritsar Controversy
- Cong seeks white paper on financial assistance to Punjab
- Cong accuses HP govt of favouring business house
- Will punish corrupt ministers of Punjab govt: Amarinder Singh
- Dal Khalsa hits out at SGPC on memorial issue
- It is a non-budget: Capt Amarinder
- Hydro Engg. college to come up in Bilaspur
- Akalis scripting their own obituary: Amarinder
- Cong leaders complain against AICC member