A joint delegation of various Sikh bodies today called upon SGPC Chief Election Commissioner H S Brar and demanded issuing of photo I-cards to SGPC voters.
The delegation comprising representatives of the Shiromani Akali Dal (1920), Khalsa Action Committee, Shiromani Akali Dal (Longowal) and All India Sikh Students Federation (AISSF) expressed its deep anguish over Justice (Retd) Mr Brar’s intimation to the Home Ministry that he had heard the complaints of the representatives of all parties who would be participating in the SGPC elections and that all their objections had been taken care of.
“Not only have the above parties consistently brought up the issue of the necessity of photo idenity cards for the voters in forthcoming SGPC elections but a member of SGPC from Akali Dal (1920) has also filed a case in this connection which is pending in the Punjab and Haryana High Court,” a memorandum submitted by the delegation said.
“If photo identity cards are not made mandatory in coming SGPC elections, it will be a large scale fraud on the entire Sikh Community,” it added.
The delegation said these parties would “do everything in their power not to let this happen.”
- Dal Khalsa hits out at SGPC on memorial issue
- Kashmiri Sikh body demands fresh probe
- Watch Fair & Square with Avtar Singh Makkar
- Sikh victim of Elk Grove shooting succumbs to injuries
- Manpreet’s leaving SAD was biggest agony: Badal
- My aim is to wipe out Akalis from Punjab: Amarinder
- The Punjab & Haryana High Court issues notice on the Chillar Sikh massacre case
- Declare Anandpur Sahib as plastic free: EcoSikh
- Cricket diplomacy to improve ties with Pak: Preneet Kaur
- MCD schools display facilities for students