Last week, a prominent hotelier was shot dead in Jalandhar. The accused in the case is the nephew of a Punjab MLA from the ruling Akali Dal and is a municipal councillor himself. This is not the first time someone belonging to a political outfit has been accused of wrongdoing in the state. Many such incidents have taken place in the past where public officials have been targeted by members belonging to the Shiromani Akali Dal. If these are to be taken as indications, the law and order situation in Punjab seems to be really deteriorating.
In Prime Debate, we discuss whether these are isolated incidents or are the Akali Dal workers simply going berserk?
Discussing this issue will be Major GS Benipal, a member of the Punjab Revenue Service; Chander Shekhar, former Punjab DGP, who as ADGP was incharge of law and order in the state; Prem Singh Chandumajra, former Punjab minister and senior Akali Dal leader; and Simarjit Kaur, President, Istri Akali Dal, Jalandhar.
- Watch Prime Debate – Stopping Grain Drain
- Watch Prime Debate – SC On Collegium
- Watch Prime Debate – Retiring Politicians
- Watch Prime Debate – Lt Governor Iqbal Singh faces ED
- My aim is to wipe out Akalis from Punjab: Amarinder
- Watch Prime Debate on Reining in Khaps
- Watch Prime Debate on Banned Wagon
- Harbhajan plans sports academy in Punjab
- Will punish corrupt ministers of Punjab govt: Amarinder Singh
- Punjab Budget session likely to be stormy