The Khalsa Heritage Memorial an inspiring tribute to the heroic and poignant saga of the Sikhs and Punjab, stands amidst mountains on a sprawling 100-acre area in the holy city of Anandpur Sahib, near Chandigarh, Punjab, India. The museum is intended to commemorate 500 years of Sikh history and the 300th anniversary of the Khalsa, the scriptures written by the 10th and last Guru of Sikhism, Gobind Singh, founder of modern Sikhism.
The budget of the project is estimated to shoot up to Rs.2.55 billion by the time it is completed, almost double the original estimates. Funds for the project have come from the government, Punjab’s rich NRI community and religious organisations.
The Punjab Government has directed the officers of Anandpur Sahib Foundation to complete the interior exhibit designs of the Khalsa Heritage Complex by July 30th so that the prestigious project could be dedicated to the Nation during August 2011.
The main agencies involved in the project include the National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad, Larsen and Toubro and Moshe Safdie. These agencies showed their inability to continue the work when the state government failed to release the amount required for the further development. The US-based Israeli architect, Moshe Safdie, conceptualised the complex in a 100-acre site in the foothills of the Shivalik ranges at Anandpur Sahib. The contract of Moshe Safdie who was hired at a cost of $ 1 million for the project, has also lapsed.
The Khalsa Heritage Complex, Anandpur Sahib, has been conceived as the most prestigious part of the celebrations. The total estimated cost of the Project today stands at Rs.250 crores. The new generation is turning away from our culture and heritage. A sustained and serious effort is required to keep our future generations linked to the glorious past and heritage of the Country.
- Watch Day & Night Special on Khalsa College Amritsar Controversy
- Khalsa College is now Khalsa University
- Dal Khalsa hits out at SGPC on memorial issue
- Cong not to allow Khalsa College’s conversion into pvt varsity
- Day & Night Special on Punjab VB Chief Sumedh Singh Saini
- Heritage Kandaghat station on Shimla-Kalka section gutted
- Centre sanctions Rs 70 cr for Jammu airport project
- Declare Anandpur Sahib as plastic free: EcoSikh
- Day & Night Special on Suspected Maoists in Haryana
- Student show project on life-support systems for space