Hundreds of villages in Punjab are bracing for a legal battle with the state’s excise department over proliferating liquor vends that bring the exchequer mighty revenue. The panchayats in the state don’t want liquor vends in their villages but excise babus won’t heed to their pleas.
In Prime Debate, we discuss about where should the Punjab government draw a line between revenue generation and checking alcoholism?
Discussing the issue will be Harinder Chahal, a retired DIG and a social activist; Dr Mahboob Sran, a social activist; Venugopal, Excise & Taxation Commissioner, Punjab; and Kamal Anand, General Secretary, People for Transparency, Punjab.
- Councillors resent move to allow vends on MC land
- Watch Prime Debate – Law less Punjab
- Watch Prime Debate – Lt Governor Iqbal Singh faces ED
- Watch Prime Debate on Policing Punjab Cops
- Liquor becomes costlier in Chandigarh
- Watch Prime Debate – Stopping Grain Drain
- SRTC registers increase of Rs18.69 cr revenue
- Watch Prime Debate – A Defining Moment
- Watch Prime Debate – SC On Collegium
- Watch Prime Debate on Adoption Problems