With an IPL-type league for hockey in India starting in December, the local players as well as lovers of the national game are an enthused lot. While local players will get a chance to play in the big league, city players feel it would also encourage youngsters to take up the game.
The World Hockey Series is going to begin from December 15 in India and the hockey players and coaches from Chandigarh are looking forward to participate in this much-talked about event. A total of 8 teams will fight it out for the championship at different venues across India, including Chandigarh.
The local players are enthused about the event and feel that the league will be a motivating factor for the new players to take up the game. The players and coaches also feel that such leagues will help the youngsters to showcase their talent.
Hockey lovers feel that Premier Hockey League was a positive step for budding hockey players and the players were disheartened after Premier Hockey League was called off after two seasons. But the players are now happy to get a chance in another big league as the World Hockey Series gets a nod from the officials.
The World Hockey Series, a joint venture of the Indian Hockey Federation and Nimbus Sport, will feature 176 players, including 40 foreigners from top hockey-playing nations. The local players are happy to have got a platform where they can showcase their talent and get a chance to play with international players.
- India series up there with the Ashes
- Indian women move to final in Archery World Cup in Italy
- FM releases new series of 50 paise, Rs 1, 2, 5, & 10 coins
- Laws of cricket shouldn’t have been applied to Indians
- China, India observes World’s Population Day together
- Had we chased win, we could’ve lost: Dhoni
- Dhoni’s World-Cup winning bat to go under the hammer
- City celebrated world meteorological day
- World Univ session to start in July: Badal
- The NIA Golf Championship will begin from March 29th