“The bus was on its way from Surankote to Poonch skidded off the road and rolled down into the gorge this afternoon near village Madana of tehsil Surnakote,” police spokesman here told UNI.
After getting information, police, army and locals rushed to the spot and launched the rescue operation, he said adding, “the occupants of the bus were retrieved and immediately rushed to district hospital where 17 people were declared as brought dead. Eighteen others who were critically wounded, were airlifted to the Government Medical College, Jammu for specialised treatment. One of them succumbed to his injuries later.”
Meanwhile, the Jammu and Kashmir Government has announced an ex-gratia relief of Rs one lakh in favour of the next of kin of dead and Rs 10,000 each for the injured.
The deceased were identified as Mohd Sadiq, Mumtaz Ahmed, Jhangir Ahmed, Anjum Shaheen, Mohd Shabir, Mohd Sajad, Shafiq Ahmed, Khalida Parveen, Karam Dad, Modh Farooq, Nagina Bi, Mohd Maqbool, Noor Mohd, Mohd Sharief, Mohd Razaq, Modh Rashid, Shakeel Ahmed (driver), and an unidentified male person.
The identities of the injured were ascertained as Fazal Shah, Shoib Ahmed, Mohd Aslam, Shakeela Bi, Mohd Mehroof, Nazia Kounser, Ibrar Ahmed, Asif Majeed, Mohd Din, Mohd Rafiq, Mohd Shafi, Mushtaq Ahmed, Abdul Majeed, Mohd Rashid, Nazir Hussain, Sabza Bi, Mushtaq Ahmed, Royal Ahmed, Akhther Bi and Shanewaz while identification of two children have not been ascertained yet.
- 11 pilgrims killed,3 children injured in road mishap
- Two killed, four injured in landslides en route Vaishno Devi
- 11 killed, 48 injured as bus plunges into stream
- One killed, 4 injured as matador turns turtle
- Nine policemen injured in militant attack in J-K
- 1 killed, 3 injured in cloudburst
- IED detected, defused on Poonch highway
- 41 killed in two accidents in Himachal
- Pak militant’s hand suspected in Udhampur car blast
- Lashker-e-Toiba district commander killed in Kishtwar