BJP today decided to launch a nationwide ‘Bhrastachar Mitao, Loktantra Bachao’ agitation against what it called UPA government’s “high-handedness” to arrest Anna Hazare and “stifle” peaceful movement against corruption.
BJP units in each district will organise sit-in and conch-blowing protests and silent rallies at public places or near Mahatma Gandhi statue to expose UPA government’s “fascist tendencies,” BJP National General Secretary Anant Kumar said in a statement here.
Lambasting UPA, Kumar said since the Centre was trying to “create an atmosphere of terror and intimidation reminiscent of Emergency days,” the party has decided to mobilise people against such “dictatorial” behaviour.
BJP would not remain a mute spectator to the “strong-arm” tactics of Government in crushing peaceful and democratic agitations against the “monumental scandals” of UPA regime, he said.
Meanwhile, flaying the arrest of Hazare,Pejavar mutt pontiff Sri Vishvesha Tirtha Swami suggested that the anti-corruption crusader consider embarking on a fast for a week “to change the conscience of Parliamentarians who do not enjoy freedom of expression as they are bound by their party’s whip.”
Hazare’s fast may change Parliamentarians conscience and they may vote in favour of the bill proposed by civil society. He also suggested holding of referendum in case Parliament accepted the Lokpal Bill proposed by government.
- Anna Hazare’s triumph brings cheer for the city residents
- Bangladesh hit by nationwide strike for second day
- Over 2,000 residents to hold chain fast tomorrow
- Lokpal Bill: Hazare team burns copies of bill
- Parties slam Govt for cracking down on Hazare team
- Most-powerful PSLV to launch GSAT-12 next week
- Dhumal launch Crop Diversification Scheme
- TPC turn blind eye when City’s high and mighty violate the rule
- UK riots: SGPC to write to PM, UK High Commissioner
- I shall continue war against corruption, going on fast for sure