Amid the standoff with Team Anna over the Lokpal Bill, government has convened an all-party meeting tomorrow to find a way to solve the issue. Leaders of all political parties have been invited to attend the meet scheduled for 3.30 pm tomorrow.
Sources said government is of the view that some of the demands put forth by Hazare and his associates require a wider political consensus before a decision could be taken.In a related development, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh today held a detailed meeting with Chairman of the Parliamentary Standing Committee, Abhishek Manu Singhvi, looking into the Lokpal Bill.
Sources said the meeting discussed various options to end the impasse over the issue as Hazare’s fast entered the eighth day today. Singhvi had yesterday said that difference between the government and Hazare on Lokpal Bill were more to do with methodology rather than content and said the Committee on Law and Justice and Personnel was open to all kinds of opinions and inputs to send a strong and acceptable to all Lokpal Bill back to Parliament. Congress member Praveen Singh Aron has already submitted a copy of Hazare’s Jan Lokpal Bill for consideration of the Committee.
- Lokpal Bill cleared by Cabinet deceit on the nation
- Team Anna reacts to PM, says pass Jan Lokpal Bill by Aug 30
- Lokpal Bill introduced in LS; BJP objects to exclusion of PM
- Cabinet likely to take up Jan Lokpal bill for consideration today
- Cabinet approves draft of Lokpal Bill, Anna to fast on August 16
- Union Cabinet clears Lokpal Bill
- Pass ‘Jan Lokpal Bill’ in next Parliament session: Manpreet
- Lokpal Bill: Hazare team burns copies of bill
- Keeping PM under Lokpal ambit not advisable: PM
- Hazare intensifies agitation over Lokpall Bill