A die-hard football fan, actor Ranbir Kapoor would be among the thousands of sport lovers who would get the opportunity to watch Lionel Messi lead Argentina in an international friendly match against Venezuela here next month. Kapoor is also the Indian brand ambassador for Barcelona FC, for which Messi plays.
“I had the good fortune of meeting him recently. He signed his jersey for me and I got couple of pictures with him. I am coming to watch the game only as a fan. I am a big supporter of football and I hope that people come and watch it,” the 28-year-old said here. Messi will don the captain’s armband for the first time in his international career during the game at the Yuba Bharati Krirangan in this football-crazy city on September 2.
“It will be great for the football of our country as when the big stars come in, it encourages youngsters to play for the country. The young love football and I hope that it does something for this sport,” Kapoor said while arguing that Barcelona, his favourite team, is ahead of the popular Manchester United. “We all know that Barcelona is a much better team and also the UEFA champions. And its mine favourite team too.
I had gone to watch a game recently as a fan and luckily they signed me as an ambassador,” he said. Also joining him during the Messi mania at Kolkata will be his director Anurag Basu, the shooting of whose film ‘Barfee’ is now going on in the city. “This is going to be the biggest football match played in the country. We have had many soccer greats coming to Kolkata and play but this one is the most special,” Basu said.
- IOA calls HI-IHF agreement ‘bizarre live-in relationship’
- J&K people should live without terror and fear: PDP
- Live grenades recovered, defused in Poonch
- India take on Maldives in test of strength for WC Qualifiers
- Watch Prime Debate – Clearing The Air
- Watch Day & Night Special on Khalsa College Amritsar Controversy
- Watch Fair & Square with Diljit Singh Rana
- India lose 0-3 to UAE in World Cup football qualifier