Today is the last day of filing of nomination papers for the September 18th Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee elections. Wednesday too saw hectic activity for filing papers.
Ludhiana is being considered a hot seat as it is considered a safe seat for the present SGPC president Avtar Singh Makkar. This time round, a triangular contest seems to be on the anvil from Ludhiana, with riot-hit victims also deciding to field their candidate besides the Panthic Morcha. And the two are quite sure of giving Makkar a tough contest.
From Moga, Akali Dal has fielded strong contender former Education minister Tota Singh and Resham Singh Khalsa from the reserve seat. Hordes of supporters accompanied Tota Singh to file his nomination papers.
In Amritsar, Shiromani Akali Dal candidate from Central Rajinder Singh Mehta and reserve seat candidate Bibi Kiranjot Kaur also filed their nominations on Wednesday.
In Bathinda, three of Akali Dal and four candidates of Shiromani Akali Dal Amritsar filed their nomination papers. While Gurtej Singh, Phuman Singh and Capt Avtar Singh are the candidates backed by Akali Dal, Harpal Singh, Bibi Gurjant Kaur, Parminder Singh and Harphool Singh filed their papers as Akali Dal Amritsar candidates.
- SGPC polls: SAD (Amritsar) to contest all seats
- SGPC elections 2011 on Sept 18
- SAD releases first list of 64 candidates for SGPC polls
- SGPC poll schedule 2011announced
- SAD authorises Badals to select candidates for SGPC elections
- Sikh bodies demand photo I-cards for SGPC voters
- SGPC elections 2011 likely to be held mid September
- Golf club elections on April 24
- SGPC polls: Capt to support candidates with clean image
- HC declines to stay SGPC polls