Opposition PDP today staged a walkout from the Jammu and Kashmir Legislative Assembly after the Speaker rejected their adjournment motion for discussing the issue of unmarked graves and delay in probing the killings during last year’s summer unrest. As soon as the Assembly began the day’s proceedings, the PDP members led by party president Mehbooba Mufti were on their feet demanding that Speaker Mohammad Akbar Lone allow the adjournment motion. “Let us send a message that we are serious about these issues by putting other issues like water, electricity and roads aside today,” Mehbooba told the Speaker.
However, Lone said a similar motion moved by National Conference MLA Mir Saifullah had been listed in the business of the house for discussion today. The Speaker urged the opposition members to allow the question hour to be conducted.
However, the opposition members refused to relent, saying the unmarked graves issue was of urgent nature and should be taken up before the other business. “It is a matter of shame that this issue has not been discussed in our Parliament but has been debated by the British Parliament,” the PDP president said.
Heated exchanges took place between several National Conference members and opposition PDP on whether the adjournment motion should be allowed.
As the time fixed for question hour came to an end, the Speaker announced that he has rejected the adjournment motion as per the rules of the business of the house. “I cannot allow this adjournment. I reject it,” Lone said.
All the PDP members staged a walkout soon after the Speaker announced his ruling on the matter.
- Anna issue rocks Haryana Assembly; 31 oppn MLAs suspended
- Opposition members’ voice being muzzled: HP Congress
- Issue of sale of fertiliser unit rocks Himachal Assembly
- Assembly passes slew of amendments to Acts
- Autumn session of J&K Assembly begins
- Uproar in LS over land for Rajiv Trust, House adjourned twice
- Anna’s fast overshadows Parliament
- Punjab Assembly to elect Deputy Speaker on June 13
- Lok Sabha adjourned after obituary references
- HP assembly adopts resolution for hike in import duty on apple