Senior Congress leader and Ludhiana MP Manish Tewari today demanded abolition of Central Excise Duty on readymade garments and textile industry.
Tewari said the taxation can be shifted to yarn manufacturers who can collect duty from their buyers and remit the same to the government. In this manner, the government will receive revenue and millions of small garment manufacturers would be saved from the harassment of a coercive tax collection mechanism.
He, however, said Yarn manufacturers should be consulted on this proposition before a final call is taken.
- Garment makers to shut down units to oppose excise duty
- Tewari flays Punjab govt for backing out on Ludhiana airport commitment
- Manish Tewari may continue on panel going into Lokpal issue
- Manish Tewari regrets his remarks against Hazare
- Hazare sends legal notice to Manish Tewari
- Badal urges PM, FM to save Ludhiana hosiery industry
- Singh announces duty free import of 61 items from B’desh
- HP seeks higher import duty on apples
- Manish Tewari recuses himself from Parliament’s Standing Committee going into Lokpal Bill
- HP assembly adopts resolution for hike in import duty on apple