Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal today said the successful organisation of first Asian Circle Style Kabaddi at Tabriz, Iran has strengthened the claim of this traditional game of Punjab for its inclusion in 2016 Rio De Janeiro Olympics.
He said that it is indeed a matter of pride for the state that afterv last year’s inaugural kabaddi World Cup here, the popularity of the game has increased by leaps and bounds across the world.
Badal said that Punjab is all set to host the second kabaddi World Cup, beginning from November 1 to 20, where 14 international teams would participate besides four international women teams.
He said after the conclusion of this event, all the participating nations would stake their claims for inclusion of kabaddi in the 2016 Olympics.
Badal said during the first kabaddi World Cup, nine nations, including India and Pakistan, had fought for top honours.
He also announced a whopping Rs 2 crore cash award for the winning team while Rs one crore for the runners-up in the second kabaddi World Cup.
Badal said the event would be held across 15 villages and cities of Punjab while the opening ceremony and the semifinal match would be held at Bhatinda and the summit clash at Ludhiana.
He said that number of participating teams have been increased to 14, including India, Pakistan, USA, UK, Canada, Iran, Afghanistan, Australia, Italy, Spain, Argentina, Norway, Germany and Sri Lanka.
- Rs 2 crore prize money awaits World Cup Kabaddi winners
- 7th Zirakpur Kabaddi Cup concludes amid much fanfare
- Kabaddi tournament in Daddumajra concluded
- India won Asian Kabaddi cup
- Sukhbir greets working class on eve of Labour Day
- Punjab to announce culture policy soon: Sukhbir
- Punjab number one state : Sukhbir Badal
- Sukhbir launches irrigation project for tail end areas
- Dubai to bid for 2024 Olympics instead of 2020
- Sukhbir: Punjab to generate solar power by utilising rooftops