Two persons were killed and 14 members of the Indian women Kabaddi team were injured, 10 of them seriously, when a bus carrying the players collided with an Army truck at Cantonment road here today, police said.
The driver of the bus and a policeman escorting the team were killed in the mishap, which occurred at a place nearly 250 km from Chandigarh, they said.
Three policemen in the escort vehicle also suffered serious injuries. All of them have been hospitalised.
The kabaddi players were going towards Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal’s private residence at Badal village in Muktsar district from Ludhiana when the mishap occurred, police said.
The team members were participating in the on-going second Punjab World Cup Kabaddi tournament in the state.
- Doping at Kabaddi : Seven players found positive
- 50% of players in trials for Kabaddi World Cup test positive
- Kabaddi Doping : 5 more fail dope test
- Kabaddi Doping : Indian player found positive
- Kabaddi WC 2011 final between Ind-Pak fixed by organisers: US Team
- Kabaddi Doping : US team banned
- 7th Zirakpur Kabaddi Cup concludes amid much fanfare
- India enter kabaddi WC semifinals
- Kabaddi tournament in Daddumajra concluded
- Indian players are suffering from ‘mental fatigue’