Both the Indian men’s and women’s teams have entered the final of the World Kabaddi Cup being staged in Punjab but the biggest applause was reserved for the Indian women players who chose to play in the semis despite being involved in an accident a day before.
The line-up of both the men and women’s finals of the second Kabaddi World Cup being held in Punjab is ready the Indian men’s team entered the final after beating Italy 74-15 in the first match at Bathinda stadium last night.
The Indian players did not allow the Italians any room for comfort and managed to score 17 points without giving the Italians a chance to open their account.
The robust Indian team members enthralled the audience by carrying Italian players twice on their shoulders amidst cheers and applause.
The Indians will now meet Canada in the final. Canada defeated the favourites for the final Pakistan 43-39 in a thrilling semifinal in Bathinda.
But all eyes were focussed on the semifinal between the India and US women’s teams. India beat US 57-7 and entered the finals but what the crowd appreaciated was the resilience of the Indian players just the day before they were injured in an accident when their bus had caught fire after hitting an Army truck.
The driver of the bus and a police constable had died.
Meanwhile, eight more players have tested positive in the dope test results .
With this, the total count of the dope-tainted kabaddi players has now reached 42 and all of them have been provisionally suspended from the Cup. The number of dope-positive players for England and Spain is 8 and 7, respectively, and therefore they have been suspended from the tournament because of shortage of players though these teams did not make it to the semifinal.
- World Cup Kabaddi: NADA teams start doping tests
- 14 Indian women kabaddi players hurt in accident
- Kabaddi WC 2011 final between Ind-Pak fixed by organisers: US Team
- 13 teams to fight for Kabaddi World Cup 2011
- Doping at Kabaddi : Seven players found positive
- Indian women move to final in Archery World Cup in Italy
- 50% of players in trials for Kabaddi World Cup test positive
- Kabaddi Doping : US team banned
- 7th Zirakpur Kabaddi Cup concludes amid much fanfare
- Kabaddi Doping : 5 more fail dope test