All eyes are set on Bathinda in Punjab today as the opposition congress kicks off its punjab bacaho yatra and the ruling shiromani akali dal banks upon its promote Kabaddi plan with inauguration of Kabaddi World Cup.
The SAD-BJP and the Congress are all set for a face-off today with the former setting the tone for its election campaign with a feel-good factor in the form of Kabaddi World Cup laced with glamour and the Congress getting ready to put up a united front by holding public meetings to prove its strength.
Though the SAD has “cleverly” invited all legislators to the Kabaddi World Cup, starting from November 1 in Bathinda, it is using the event to create a positive atmosphere for unleashing its election campaign.
The Congress, on the other hand,has finally decided to revv up the tempo so that it peaks at the right time. Though the party had earlier decided to hold a traditional yatra, it will now be holding public meetings for one month all over the state.
Senior Congress party leader Lal Singh said the public meetings would make it clear that the days of the SAD-BJP rule were numbered, besides encouraging Congress workers to come out and face the Akalis boldly in the coming elections.
The SAD, on its part, is pulling out all stops to make the kabaddi event a resounding success. It is trying to reach out to the rural poor through the games as most of the players come from socially backward families.
Senior party leader Prem Singh Chandumajra denies that the cup is aimed at achieving political mileage, saying the government is only promoting the sport which is associated with the culture of the state. The kabaddi event is also aimed at boosting the image of Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir.
- Kabaddi should be included in 2016 Olympics: Sukhbir
- 7th Zirakpur Kabaddi Cup concludes amid much fanfare
- Punjab intensifies campaign against child labour
- NSUI: Hold students bodies election in Punjab
- Amarinder to start assembly constituency tour from April 8
- Om Prakash Chautala start silent campaign against ruling party
- 50% of players in trials for Kabaddi World Cup test positive
- Kabaddi tournament in Daddumajra concluded
- 13 teams to fight for Kabaddi World Cup 2011
- Hazare’s campaign will not affect party prospects:Haryana Cong