The Parliamentary Standing Committee going into the Lokpal Bill has been given a month’s extension till December 7. Rajya Sabha Chairman Hamid Ansari has granted the extension to the committee headed by Abhishek Singhvi whose term expired earlier this week.
Singhvi has only recently made it clear that the committee will complete its work “soon”. The committee was given three months’ time on August 8 to examine the Lokpal Bill. It was, however, not in operation for almost a month as the term of the earlier committee ended and reconstitution took time.
Team Anna had first appeared before the committee in August this year after Anna Hazare’s 13-day fast that month demanding that the Jan Lokpal Bill be passed in the Monsoon Session of Parliament. The Winter session of Parliament is commencing on November 22 and will conclude on December 23.
- Keeping PM under Lokpal ambit not advisable: PM
- Lokpal Bill: Parliamentary Committee faced with tough task
- Govt not happy with Anna ultimatum on Jan Lokpal issue
- Team Anna reacts to PM, says pass Jan Lokpal Bill by Aug 30
- Govt agrees to disclose audio recordings of Lokpal Committee
- Cabinet approves draft of Lokpal Bill, Anna to fast on August 16
- Union Cabinet clears Lokpal Bill
- Cabinet likely to take up Jan Lokpal bill for consideration today
- Constitutional status for Lokpal a delaying tactic: Team Anna
- Lokpal Bill cleared by Cabinet deceit on the nation