With elections drawing close, parties are trying their best to pull each other down. Well, that is a given. But it gets quite ferocious at times. This time, the BJP has taken on a woman Congress candidate, saying she is distributing liquor.
Police recovered a few liquor cartons at Sector 36 on Thursday. They acted on a tip off by BJP workers saying that the cartons belonged to Ward No 4 Congress candidate Poonam Sharma. Reacting to the allegation, the Congress candidate held a press conference at sector 23 where she accused the BJP of trying to malign her.
City BJP Chief Sanjay Tandon denied any propaganda by the party.
According to Sanjay Tandon, Congress is using the Haryana administrative machinery to intimidate voters in wards 1 and 9 to vote for the Congress. He decried this as an unethical act.
City Congress Chief B.B. Bahl expressed ignorance about the issue. He dismissed the allegations as absurd and said the BJP is acting out of insecurity.
Taking BJP’s allegation of liquor being recovered from a Congress candidate in a lighter vein, the Congress chief remarked only scotch would do in an area as posh as Sector 36.
City BJP Chief Sanjay Tandon appealed to voters to turn out in large numbers to exercise their franchise.
Mudslinging is fairly predictable during campaigning. The ferocity of the attacks tends to increase as the poll date draws close. But how this affects results is a moot point.
- Daylight robbery alleged in Sector 53 liquor vend
- BJP makes changes in candidates’ list for Chandigarh MC poll
- Body found at Sector 16 bus stop Chandigarh
- Chandigarh MC poll: Parties wooing voters in their own way
- Khayali Saharan campaigns for Chhabra in Chandigarh MC poll
- SAD and BJP stuck at seat sharing in Chandigarh MC poll
- Liquor served at a party of Sec-71 Paragon School Mohali
- Chandigarh MC Poll candidate take oath against corruption
- Chandigarh MC poll: Five ex mayors contesting elections
- Chandigarh MC poll campaign ends