Team Anna member Kiran Bedi today contended that the Parliamentary Standing Committee recommendations on Lokpal Bill will only help in making the ombdusman an “Enquiry Pal” with no powers at all. Bedi said Anna Hazare and his supporters did not fight for such an anti-corruption watchdog. “The Standing Committee report on Lokpal Bill is very self-defeating.
Lokpal is being made an ‘Enquiry Pal’,” Bedi told PTI. Contending that they have not agitated for “another CVC (Central Vigilance Commission” which does not have any power, she contended, “Without CBI, Lokpal is an Enquiry Pal. But in the report CBI is the Chief Chef for cooking (investigations) and Lokpal the bearer (prosecution) serving what is there.” “CBI is hamstrung. It needs to be set free. Its current occupants need help.
Why is Govt not letting CBI go? Government is afraid of losing control of CBI,” she said. She said the the ball is now in the the court of the Opposition and us too. “Do we let this enslavement continue? Or strive to change? I pray Opposition unites to bring CBI’s anti corruption wing under Lokpal,” she said. Asked about the next course of action, she said Hazare has already announced that he will resume the agitation. Referring to continuous disruption of Parliament on one issue or another, Bedi said if needed, the government should call a special session to pass the Lokpal Bill.
Team Anna has been insisting that the Bill should be passed in the ongoing winter session of Parliament. The Standing Committee has concluded its deliberations on the Lokpal Bill amidst sharp division among its members on the inclusion of the Prime Minister within Lokpal’s ambit.
- Nationwide protests if Cong fails to pass Lokpal Bill: Bedi
- Lokpal Bill cleared by Cabinet deceit on the nation
- Don’t break Lokpal Bill, Team Anna tells Par panel
- Team Anna reacts to PM, says pass Jan Lokpal Bill by Aug 30
- Citizen’s Charter be included in Lokpal Bill: Team Anna
- Constitutional status for Lokpal a delaying tactic: Team Anna
- Rahul Gandhi let us down, says Bedi
- Watch Fair & Square with Kiran Bedi
- Kiran Bedi demands an independent anti-corruption agency
- Lokpal: CVC to appear before Parliamentary panel on Sep 15