The two major political circles in the city have started brainstorming sessions to pick candidates for the mayoral seat. The seat is reserved for a woman candidate this time and both the BJP and the Congress have to make a smart choice as the new mayor of the city would also be crucial in giving an edge to her party in the coming Punjab Vidhan Sabha elections.
In the Congress party, names of Raj Bala Malik and Gurbax Rawat are coming up for the mayoral candidate. Among these, Raj Bala Malik seems to be a stronger candidate for the mayoral ticket because of her experience. Another point in her favor is her victory margin, which was much higher than that of Rawat.
On the other hand, the BJP is likely to field Asha Kumari Jaswal as she is the seniormost female member in the party. The alliance partner of BJP, Shiromani Akali Dal has finalised the name of former mayor and sitting councilor Harjinder Kaur for the mayoral ticket. The name has been sent to the high command. Though BJP’s alliance with SAD is old but
BJP would not depend on SAD candidate Harjinder Kaur because in 2010,Harjinder Kaur withdrew her nomination for mayoral seat when Anu Chatrath of Congress filed her nomination.
The new mayor of city would be a trump card for the winning party as it would have its advantage in the coming Vidhan Sabha elections in Punjab.
- Chandigarh MC poll: Five ex mayors contesting elections
- SAD and BJP stuck at seat sharing in Chandigarh MC poll
- MC Poll: Liquor cartons found in Sector 36 Chandigarh
- Nomination process ends for Chandigarh MC polls
- Women candidates for Chandigarh MC polls woo voters
- BJP loses District 1 Chandigarh secretary to Congress
- Chandigarh MC elections candidates declared their assets
- Chandigarh Administrator nominates 9 councillors
- Chandigarh MC polls nomination process picks up
- Congress unit holds first round of talks in Chandigarh