Ruling Shiromani Akali Dal today suffered a setback when its youth face in the district, Simarjit Singh Bains, announced his decision to contest the January 30 state assembly polls as an Independent candidate. Bains today announced his decision to contest as an Independent candidate from Atam Nagar (Ludhiana) seat against official party candidate and Jail Minister Hira Singh Gabaria.
Describing Akali Dal as his “mother”, the rebel leader said that he had nothing against the policies of the party. He, however, made several charges of corruption against Gabaria and city Mayor Hakim Singh Giaspura.
Bains is currently the president of the the Youth Akali Dal in Ludhiana district and a councillor of the Ludhiana Municipal Corporation. The leader’s elder brother Balwinder Singh Bains was recently announced as SAD’s candidate from Ludhiana South assembly constituency.
- Congress youth leader Amarinder Singh murdered in Sangrur
- SGPC polls: SAD (Amritsar) to contest all seats
- SGPC polls: Independent candidate’s son thrashed, kidnapped
- Punjab polls: Mann’s party to contest all 117 seats
- SAD ticket to candidate who can win Assembly polls: Badal
- Garg announces to contest assembly elections
- Punjab Congress divided on chief ministerial candidate
- Naya Bains Sarpanch Dalbir Singh Sampla shot dead
- SAD releases first list of 64 candidates for SGPC polls
- Kashmiri Devi is oldest candidate of Congress in Chandigarh MC polls