Angry merchants of Sector 15 came out onto the street and blocked the road for more than two hours to protest lack of security. Five showrooms were robbed during the wee hours of Saturday. In all, thieves got away with around one lakh rupees.
On Saturday morning Sector 15 merchants found that locks of five shops had been broken and the market chowkidar tied and gagged. The chowkidar told them that he had been overpowered by a gang that numbered around a dozen men. If any police patrol passed through the market during the night, the cops did not notice anything amiss. Shopkeepers say that they get no cooperation from the police.
The merchants lifted the blockade only after ASP Deshraj Singh arrived and assured them that the police would track down the criminals and take immediate steps to ensure security for the market.
Former city MP Harmohan Dhawan and Chandigarh ex mayor Anu Chatrath also reached the spot and criticized the unresponsive and irresponsible attitude of the UT police.
Thieves also broke the locks on several shops in the Ram Darbar market but left empty-handed because no merchant kept cash in the shop overnight. Ram Darbar shopkeepers lambasted the police for failure to patrol during the night.
- Chandigarh Youth beaten to death with bricks and sticks
- 950 cops will be deployed in Chandigarh during Diwali
- Chandigarh police rescued five child laborers
- Suicide bid at Sukhna Lake Chandigarh
- Chandigarh police solved robbery case of Abhir Malhotra
- Chandigarh police organise Raising Day parade
- Two armed robbers grab Rs 8 lakh at gunpoint
- Chandigarh Crime Branch in-charge Amanjot Singh accused of improper conduct
- Four persons injured in clash at Ram Darbar
- Security beefed up in tricity as Advani Yatra reach Chandigarh on 16 Nov