Northern Railways have made special arrangements to deal with the heavy rush expected around the time of Holi. A special train from Chandigarh to Varanasi has been introduced to cater to increased demand for tickets.
The waiting list for a confirmed berth in trains to UP and Bihar is crossing 400 at the moment. Trains to Lucknow, Allahabad and Howrah in particular are filled chock-a-block. But strangely, not many seem inclined to try out the new train, says railway official Vajinder Singh.
Many people had to get their tickets cancelled while others had to postpone travel plans.
The special train will leave Chandigarh railway station at 11.10 pm on March 6 and commence its journey from Varanasi at 6.15 pm on March 7. The city has a large population from Uttar Pradesh and Bihar.
During the festival season, there is a surge of people commuting to destinations in UP.
- Chandigarh IRCTC’s initiative for religious tourism
- Fog in N India: Railways extends cancellation of trains
- New luxury train ‘Takht Express’ to cover Sikh shrines
- Man run over by speeding train near Ram Darbar
- Train passengers greeted with long queues and waiting lists
- Jat agitation disrupts train traffic
- Fog disrupts everyday life in Chandigarh
- Dense fog disrupted rail traffic
- Many flights cancelled and all flights delayed at Chandigarh Airport
- Class X girl jumped before a train on Saturday