In a major initiative, the Shri Amarnathji Shrine Board (SASB) has tied up with the Department of Posts for registration of pilgrims through select post offices across the country. “The Department of Posts will start the registration of Yatris on behalf of SASB from May seven. As many as 100 post offices across the country have been identified in this regard,” Chief Executive Officer, SASB, Navin K Choudhary, who concluded his four-day intensive tour of base camps enroute the 3,880 metre high holy cave shrine, said here.
He said the facility will be in addition to the 174 Bank Branches and via the Internet based e-Registration System already announced by the Shrine Board. Until last year, the registration was done only through Jammu and Kashmir Bank and YES Bank. Choudhary said SASB had requested the Department of Posts to do the registration of the Yatris across the country, especially in Punjab, Haryana, Maharashtra, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Bihar and UP. Chief Postmaster General John Samuel said the Department of Posts has a large network of 1.55 lakh post offices across the country and given the vast infrastructure, the post office is in a position to provide various services to the customers.
As a part of registration process, the Yatris will submit the application form along with the prescribed medical certificate, he said. The Chief Postmaster General also announced that four Yatri Post Offices would be established along the Yatra route for the benefit of the pilgrims. “These Yatri Post Offices will provide basic postal services, including letter post, Registered post and Speed post facilities for the benefit of the Yatris,” he said adding for more than 20 years these Yatri post offices have been non-functional.
- 20,000 pilgrims registered for Amarnath pilgrimage
- Over one lakh pilgrims registered for Amarnath yatra
- ‘Floating’ post office to come up on Dal Lake
- Amarnath Yatra registration to begin from May 10
- India Post join hands with MoneyGram to provide money transfer
- Amarnath pilgrims to undergo compulsory health check-up
- Amarnath pilgrims will now need to carry medical certificate
- Pilgrimage to holy Amarnath cave going smoothly
- Amarnath Yatra 2012: Registration to commence on 7th May
- Yatri Niyas starts online registration for Amaranath pilgrims