DMK President M Karunanidhi, whose party is a key UPA constituent, today said some names were discussed during his talks with Defence Minister A K Antony on the candidate for the Presidential election, but declined to divulge details.
“We expect a good President. Antony proposed (some names) and so did I. But we cannot tell you the details,” he told reporters here a day after the senior Congress leader met him here and held hour-long talks.
Karunanidhi initially declined to talk about yesterday’s deliberations and merely said he discussed with Antony the coming Presidential poll. “I cannot say what transpired.”
However, when reporters persisted, he said they discussed some names.
Antony, whose visit was part of the consultation process among UPA allies on the Presidential election to arrive at a consensus leader to succeed incumbent Pratibha Patil, had described the meeting as ‘fruitful’.
But he had also refused to share any details saying he would report to Congress President Sonia Gandhi whatever Karunanidhi told him.
- Antony meets Karuna on Prez poll; to report to Sonia
- Punjab Poll 2012: UPA not revealing names of tax evaders: Advani
- Karuna meets Sonia
- Omar apologises for disclosing names of rape victims
- Disclose names of official with dubious integrity
- 142 names deleted from blacklist of Sikh NRIs
- Ways of handling rush at PGI discussed
- Pawar for non-political person as Prez; says UPA, NDA lack nos
- Army chief names retd Lt Gen in his bribery complaint to CBI
- DMK leaders held in TN; Karuna says it is political vendetta