Two BSF men were even rewarded, but then came the big embarrassement,tests revealed that there was no contraband at all in the haul.
BSF has admitted that the samples have tested negative for heroin, but it has not conducted any inquiry and has even kept quiet about the outcome for over four months now.
It was the Page One headline in every newspaper. On 6th October last year, the Border Security Force hurriedly called a press conference at the Attari border in Amritsar and claimed that it had made one of the biggest drug hauls in recent years – it had laid its hands on 27 kilograms of heroin worth a whopping Rs 135 Cr, which was being pushed into India by smugglers from across the border in Pakistan. For authenticity, it displayed the booty in small bags.
It was a moment of crowning glory for the BSF officers and men. A jubilant Himmat Singh even announced a reward of Rs 15,000 each for the two BSF men who had found the so-called heroin.
The ADG went on to give these men their cash incentive.
But the reality dawned soon. The process of scrutiny took over and the BSF sent samples from the haul to the Narcotics Control Bureau at New Delhi. The NCB, for its part, sent on the samples to a Central Government laboratory for testing.
The findings shocked the NCB as well as the BSF: The samples did not contain any heroin. The claim was big but the haul turned out to be bogus. It was a false alarm.
- Watch Day & Night Investigation – Buying A Used Car
- Watch Day & Night Investigation – Mining Mafia
- Watch Day & Night Investigation – Another Punjab Transport Scandal
- Watch Day & Night Investigation – Holes In Murder Probe
- Watch Day & Night Investigation – Punjab’s Transport Scam
- Watch Day & Night Investigation – Kaum Naal Khilwaad(Gurbani)
- Day & Night Investigation on IO, in case against Badals
- Watch Day & Night Special – Women MLA
- Watch Day & Night Special – Stone without Foundation
- Watch Day & Night Special – Sewa Ate Samarpan