Panchkula police claim to have busted a gang that used a novel method to dupe its victims, this is something you would expect in a crime thriller.
A pen, some disappearing ink and brazen bungling of money….all the ingredients of a typical crime potboiler. Only, this is quite real. These two people in police custody were quite resourceful in their chosen field, fraud and cheating. Their main tool is a pen which uses a kind of ink that can be erased at the application of heat. The pen is with the police now.
The gang members would approach people with offers of products or schemes with generous discounts. After striking a deal, they would offer the victim their pen to fill a cheque. Afterwards, they would erase the amount entered, fill in a different and of course exalted sum and withdraw money. They even had bank accounts based on fraudulent documents.
Several people in Chandigarh, Panchkula and Punjab have been targeted by the gang. Police say there are more members in the gang, one of whom has already been arrested. The gang operated from a rented house in Sector 7, Panchkula. An official of a bank in Sector 20 alerted the police about the activities of the gang, which led to their arrest. The arrested gang members were produced in court from where they were remanded in five day police custody. Police are on the lookout for other gang members. They are also trying to find out how they procured this pen.
- Two members of Nishan gang held
- Gang mastermind Manga is in Ambala Jail
- Six members of auto lifter gang held
- Auto-lifters’ gang busted in Chandigarh
- Three people held with 22 kg poppy husk
- Two people accused of abduction, assault
- Manimajra police arrest 4 for planning robbery
- Desire for foreign shores fuelling scams
- Nine-man gang counterfeited documents
- Chandigarh police busts gang