Meanwhile, the BJP is in a bind over its plan to back NCP leader P.A. Sangma for the Presidential candidate. The party’s strategy on a contest against Pranab Mukherjee in the Presidential poll has backfired with the allies isolating it.
While the Shiv Sena has openly endorsed Pranab, the JD(U) is not in favour of a contest against him. BJP President Nitin Gadkari met party leaders Sushma Swaraj and Arun Jaitley. Janata Party President Subramanian Swamy also met senior BJP leader LK Advani.
- NDA, small parties to be consulted for Prez post name: Gadkari
- Sushma articulated BJP’s view and not that of NDA: Rudy
- ‘Wait and see’, says Pranab on presidential polls
- Somnath for Pranab as unanimous choice as President
- TMC says it will contest if Pranab or Ansari nominated by Cong
- Ready to join hands with Anna, but his team unwilling: Swamy
- Kalam should not contest prez poll: Omar Abdullah
- Bhajan Lal’s son forges alliance with BJP in Haryana
- BJP central leadership backs Dhumal
- UPA govt like ‘Darbar of Nirmal Baba’: Modi