A special court here has sentenced eight suspended officials of Municipal Corporation of Delhi and three contractors to three years in jail for irregularities in award of tenders for retro-reflective signboards. The court convicted the 11 accused — one Executive Engineer, three Assistant Engineers, four Junior Engineers of MCD and three private contractors — for causing loss of Rs.7.70 lakhs to the MCD, a CBI spokesperson said.
The court sentenced the then Executive Engineer Brij Pal Singh, the then Assistant Engineers Anil Kumar, P K Sharma and S S Arya, the then Junior Engineers G P Sharma, Rakesh Meena, Arun Kumar Sharma and A K Jain to undergo rigorous imprisonment of three years and a fine ranging from Rs 50,000 to Rs 1.25 lakh, the spokesperson said.
The contractors Deepak Goel, Subhash Chand, and Ajay Verma have also been sentenced to undergo three years of rigorous imprisonment with fine. The spokesperson said CBI had registered a case against Brij Pal Singh and others for entering into criminal conspiracy with contractors of MCD. “He awarded tenders to some unknown contractors during the year 2003-04 for providing and fixing inferior and substandard quality retro-reflective signboards falling in the municipal jurisdiction limits of Division-XXII, Delhi. In this way, fraudulent payments worth Rs.7.70,016/-(approx) were made to the contractors,” the official said.
- 8 MCD engineers, three contractors jailed for duping exchequer
- 2 men caught with 33 kgs of cannabis sent to jail by court
- Court official sent to 4 years in jail for taking bribe
- Punjab’s Junior Engineers strike entered in third week
- UAE court sentences 17 Indians to six months in jail
- Bangaru Laxman gets 4 years jail in fictitious arms deal case
- Court sends two girls to Nari Niketan in Karnal
- Man setenced to jail by Aus court for killing Indian student
- Watch Prime Debate – Who Holds Court ?
- Man convicted of murder on electronic evidence,gets 20 yr jail