The electorate in Amritsar, Jalandhar, Ludhiana and Patiala are exercising their right to franchise to elect new Municipal Corporations.
The voting will continue till 4 pm.Thereafter, counting will commence at 6 pm.
The results of nagar council/panchayat elections held on June 7th will also be declared today.
The corporation elections in the four major cities of Punjab will act as a barometer of popularity of the SAD-BJP combine and the Congress in urban areas. The Akali Dal had met with much success in that regard in the last civic elections.
Now, it hopes to improve upon its earlier tally.The BJP is also hoping to do well, considering the fact that it was able to hold its own in Jalandhar and Amritsar in the Assembly elections.
Based upon the Assembly election results of March this year, the SAD-BJP combine is expected to do well in Jalandhar, Ludhiana and Amritsar and the Congress in Patiala.
However, the Congress is being increasingly seen as a divided house and may suffer a reversal in Patiala, too.
The party has been badly affected in Ludhiana with the creation of a rebel group, the Congress Workers Forum, which has put up 19 candidates.
- Punjab MC election results 2012
- Punjab MC poll 2012 : Congress sacks 48 rebels
- Cong releases manifesto for Punjab MC Elections 2012
- BJP candidates for Punjab elections 2012
- Stage set for MC elections in Punjab
- All set for Punjab MC elections 2012
- BSP candidates for Punjab elections 2012
- Congress candidates for Punjab elections 2012
- Amarinder to continue as Pb Cong chief till civic body polls
- PPP candidates for Punjab elections 2012