The squad is set to be formally announced here tomorrow but the selection committee has already decided on 16-member squad that will be competing at the quadrennial extravaganza.
While Rupinder and Walmiki are all set to get the boot, veteran defender Ignace Tirkey and striker Gurwinder Singh Chandi are in all likelihood going to come. The 14 others will be those who have recently played in the Sultan Azlan Shah tournament.
“Walmiki and Rupinder Pal’s performance haven’t been upto the mark and we can’t take risk with these players in a big event like Olympics. Ignace’s experience will come in handy while Gurwinder will add muscle to the forward line,” a selector told PTI on conditions of anonymity.
Meanwhile, apart from the 16-members, the Hockey India will be sending an additional six members from the junior squad for a training camp at Lille in France.
HI secretary genertal Narinder Batra also announced that the association has already signed 30 players for the cah-rich Hockey India League (HIL) scheduled to be held in January, next year.
- Indian hockey squad felicitated
- India sail past China in Asian Champions Trophy
- India to face Australia in Olympic hockey test event
- Indian hockey team to open Olympic campaign against Holland
- World hockey series to begin from December 15
- Big guns return to Test squad for England
- PCB announces Malik’s inclusion in Pak squad for Zimbabwe
- Sehwag, Zaheer rested, Tendulkar in Asia Cup squad
- Rajpal to lead India in Asian Champions Trophy
- Axed Barath welcomes Gayle return for ODIs