Ahead of assembly polls the factional fight in Himachal Pradesh’s ruling BJP took a new turn with senior party leader and MLA from Rohroo Khushi Ram Balnatah demanding change in leadership and major reshuffle in the party.
In another related development, state party president Satpal Singh Satti appointed Health Minister Rajiv Bindal as party General Secretary, accepting the demand for his removal from the cabinet made by loyalists of party Vice President Shanta Kumar.
Balnatah in his letter addressed to party president Nitin Gadkari said the image of the government had become that of “the most corrupt government” and allegations of corruption, nepotism and regionalism are being levelled.
“We had met you in this regard last year and explained the situation in detail and also given documentary evidence in support of our charges but no action has been taken and as a result stalwarts like former MP Maheshwar Singh have been forced to quit the party and float their own party”, he said in his letter.
Making a reference to the debacle the party suffered in the recent Shimla Municipal Corporation polls, Balnatah said three assembly constituencies of Shimla, Rural Shimla and Kusumpti were involved in the polls and the massive victory of CPI (M) for the post of Mayor and Deputy Mayor was “a cause for alarm and an indication that the people were disillusioned with both BJP and Congress”.
- Daunting task for Satpal Satti
- Satpal Satti takes charge as 11th BJP president
- Health Minister Rajiv Bindal submits resignation
- CPI(M) firest party to announce candidates for MC polls
- Watch Fair & Square with Satpal Satti
- Jagbir Singh Brar resigns from Assembly and party
- Ahead of Chicago Summit Obama meets NATO Secretary General
- Corruption allegations against newly-appointed legislature party leader Tikshan Sud
- Shimla MC poll campaign reaches feverish pitch
- SMC polls: CPI(M) congratulates Himachal unit for historic win