The stage has been set for the second phase of election to the Municipal Corporations in Punjab amidst tight security.
The second phase of the civic polls will be held in Amritsar, Jalandhar, Ludhiana and Patiala where the fight will be direct between the major political parties SAD-BJP combine and the opposition Congress.
Rebel candidates of Congress, BJP and SAD will also be out to test their strength in various wards.
BJP’s Amritsar MP, Navjot Singh Sidhu had been holding several public meetings to garner support for his party candidates.
Amritsar District Election Officer-cum-Deputy Commissioner Rajat Agarwal said that all voters who have been issued voter ID cards will have to produce these cards to exercise their franchise.
Other valid identity proofs can also be shown by the voters whose names are registered in case they do not have voter ID cards, he said.
In the first phase, Nagar Panchayats and three Municipal Councils went to the polls on Thursday.
- Punjab MC elections 2012 : Voters can use alternate I-D proof
- Punjab elections:Armed forces personnel can vote by proxy
- Cong releases manifesto for Punjab MC Elections 2012
- Punjab MC poll notification issued,code of conduct imposed
- Diploma Engineers of Punjab stage protest
- Punjab Elections 2012 Live
- Punjab MC elections 2012: SAD, BJP to contest on equal number of seats
- Punjab MC Elections 2012: PPP to approach EC for election symbol
- Punjab elections likely on Feb 13
- BJP candidates for Punjab elections 2012