The Village Mayor Sir Charles Allen welcomed India’s Deputy Chef De Mission Brig P K Muralidharan Raja, who made a presentation to the dignitary before the Indian tri-colour was hoisted to the tunes of national anthem along with the Olympic flag featuring the five rings.
Welcoming the athletes, who had attained the distinction of representing their countries after years of hard work, the Village Mayor said:”Athletes from various cultures will call our Olympic Village their home, and we hope you take back cherished memories.”
The star attraction of the Indian contingent at this ‘Welcome Ceremony’ in the Olympic Village was archer Deepika Kumari. The athletes and delegates were entertained by local youngsters with lovely musical performance complemented by some acrobatic moves.
The performers danced to the song “We Are The Champions” and ended with a salute to the champion athletes, who will compete for glory at the quadrennial sporting extravaganza.
Among the other Indian sportspersons present on the occasion, were the tennis doubles pair of Mahesh Bhupathi and Rohan Bopanna, who checked into the Olympic Village yesterday, the boxers and some members of the hockey team.
- India’s flag to be raised at Olympic Village tomorrow
- Indian athletes continue to troupe in at Olympic Games Village
- Indian hockey team to open Olympic campaign against Holland
- Ministry releases over Rs 3 crore for Olympic preparation
- Indian boxers eye last available Olympic slots
- Hooda congratulates Vijender for booking Olympic berth
- ‘Topless’ Ukrainians may face jail for insulting Indian flag
- Govt announces setting up of National Institute of Hockey
- London Games would be most dope tested in history: WADA
- Sukhbir Badal unfurls national flag in Mohali