In a strongly-worded defence of DGP Sumedh Singh Saini, Home Secretary D.S.Bains in his reply to the court termed Saini an officer with an exceptionally outstanding record rarely seen in service dossiers.
The petition by NGO Voices for Freedom sought quashing of Saini’s appointment as Punjab DGP and an inquiry against those who had withheld material record pertaining to a criminal case pending against Saini.
The Punjab government stated that Saini had earlier been targeted to harm him physically and now to abuse the judicial processes. It even named Akali Dal Amritsar Simranjit Singh mann’s associate Prof Jagmohan Singh as trying to abuse the process of law to target Saini.
The Home Secretary’s reply stated that the NGO that had filed the petition against Saini’s appointment also has a Facebook page where many militants and redials share their views.
On the Punjab government contention, the Bench questioned the credibility of the NGO and its means of fund generation. The case has now been adjourned for July 26.
- Punjab govt appoints Sumedh Singh Saini as new DGP
- Day & Night Special on Punjab VB Chief Sumedh Singh Saini
- NRI’s help Jagbir Saini family in procuring his body
- Sumedh Singh Saini trial to resume
- NGO wants removal of PB VB Chief Saini
- Former Cong MLA Khaira opposes Saini as DGP
- Badal defends his govt seeking mercy for Rajoana
- Ankit Saini gets bail in Rahul Gandhi’s fake FB page case
- Thomas moves HC seeking stay on new CVC appointment
- Supercop Gill revisits Punjab Police HQs after 16 years