The dollar also gained strength in the overseas market against the euro and other currencies.
Dealers said the European Central Bank’s cutting key interest rate to a record low of 0.75 per cent increased the demand for the dollar from importers, particularly oil companies, weighing on the rupee value.
The rupee had ended 48 paise lower at 54.97 against the American currency yesterday over its previous closing.
Meanwhile, the BSE 30-stock index, Sensex, was down 51.70 points, or 0.29 per cent, to 17,486.97 points in early trade today.
- Rupee down 10 paise vs dollar in early trade
- Rupee gains 19 paise against dollar
- Rupee down 11 paise against dollar
- Indian rupee down by 33 paise to Rs 49.90 per US dollar
- Indian rupee plummeted by 48 paise to Rs 53.45 per US dollar
- Rupee loses 15 paise against US dollar in early trade
- Rupee gains 15 paise against US dollar in early trade
- Indian rupee down by 44 paise at Rs 51.78 per US dollar
- Rupee down 42 paise against dollar in early trade
- Rupee loses 61 paise to early low of Rs 54.32 per dollar