Two militants were today killed and a jawan was injured in an encounter in Handwara area of Kupwara district. Army and police had launched a joint operation in Bowan village of Nowgam sector, 100 kms from here, last evening following information about the presence of ultras in the area. “Two militants have been killed in the operation in Nowgam sector of Handwara,” defence sources said.
They said a jawan of Special Operations Group of police was injured in the operation, which was going on till last reports came in. The identity and group affiliation of the deceased militants was not known yet, the sources said. Security forces have intensified anti-insurgency operations along the Line of Control in Kupwara district since last week. Three militants were killed in a gunbattle with Army and police in Bangus valley of Kupwara yesterday. The sources said the operation against the militants in the area is still going on. An Army jawan and a policeman were also injured in the exchange of firing with the ultras in the area. One unidentified militant was killed in an encounter with security forces in Handwara area on June 29.
- Army jawan killed in a gunbattle with militants
- Top LeT commander among 2 militants killed in encounter
- Handful of militants making desparate attempts: Omar
- Five militants killed in an encounter with security forces near the LOC
- Two LeT militants Nissar Ahmad Mir and Mohammad Ibrahim killed in encounter
- Hizb militant Akhtar Hussain killed in encounter
- 2 police personnel killed by militants in Srinagar
- Encounter between militants and security forces in Awantipora
- Militants attack Sopore police station, five injured
- Search operation for militants in Kupwara