At least 11 militants were killed when US drones targeted a compound in the lawless North Waziristan tribal region of Pakistan. The drones fired several missiles at the compound in Shawal area of North Waziristan, which has witnessed several attacks in the past few weeks. TV news channels quoted officials as saying that 11 people were killed in the attack.
The strike came days after talks between Pakistan and the US on an arrangement for future drone strikes that envisages greater cooperation on such attacks.
Pakistan has opposed the drone attacks, saying they are counterproductive and violate the country’s sovereignty. The Taliban recently banned polio vaccinations in North and South Waziristan, saying they would not be allowed as long as the US drone strikes continued.
- US drone attack kills four militants in Pakistan
- US drone strike kills 4 militants in Pakistan
- US drone strike kills 10 militants in Pakistan’s tribal region
- US drone strike kills nine militants in Pakistan
- US drone attack kills 10 suspected militants in Pakistan
- 8 killed in US drone strike in North Waziristan
- US drones kill 15 militants in Pakistan
- 10 militants killed in US drone attack in Pak tribal area
- US drone strikes kill 45 militants in Pak
- US drones kill 5 militants in Pakistan: official