“A flash flood alert has been sounded in Jammu. Due to heavy overnight rains, various rivers in Jammu region are flooded…22 people and large number of cattle are trapped in the flash floods in Ujh and Tawi rivers,” an official said. Of the 22 people, 15 are trapped in Ujh river at Khadwal area in Kathua district and two each in Mayachak, Nagri, Sujanal (Satwari) and Muthi areas, he said.
A rescue operation has been launched for those trapped in the flash floods, triggered by intermittent overnight rains in Jammu, Kathua and Udhampur districts, the official said. The water level in Chenab, Tawi, Ujh and Basantar rivers are nearing the danger mark, officials said, adding that people living in low-lying areas have been alerted and warned of flash floods. They have also been asked to keep away from banks of the flooded rivers.
- Eight washed away in flash flood in Himachal
- High alert sounded in Yamunanagar
- Flood alert in Punjab Haryana as Yamuna, Ghaggar are in spate
- Building collapses in west Delhi, people feared trapped
- Punjab cautions against flood, authorities put on alert
- Three washed away in flash floods at Poonch
- UN: Philippine flood destruction like tsunami
- Heavy rains trigger landslides in HP
- Efforts continue to rescue over 2,500 people in Pin Valley
- Dalai Lama donates Rs 10 lakh to flood-hit Orissa