Hardly had they savoured the sweets from the other side, BSF troops were fired at by Pakistan Rangers at a forward post in Samba sector in the seventh ceasefire violation in Jammu and Kashmir in 11 days.
“There was small arms firing at Indian Border Out Post (BoP) of Pansar along International Border in Samba sector around late this afternoon,” a senior BSF officer said. Unprovoked firing by Pakistan rangers started around 15:30 hours and was on intermittently, the officer said, adding that BSF troops guarding the borderline replied back. There was no injury or damage caused in this firing on this side, he said.
The bitter moment for the BSF personnel came just hours after exchange of sweets and greetings on the Indo-Pak border between them and the troops of the Rangers on the occasion of India’s 66th Independence Day.
Pakistani Rangers walked up to the Zero Line, 45-km from here, to greet their counterparts from the BSF.
The Pakistanis brought sweets and gifts for BSF jawans, officials said.
BSF troopers had also greeted their counterparts on the occasion of Pakistan’s Independence Day yesterday.
They also presented Pakistani border guards gifts and sweets, the officials said.
The BSF troopers and Pakistani Rangers had decorated their border posts to mark the occasion.
There were in all 31 ceasefire violations this year.
The recent firings and ceasefire violations by Pakistan came close on the heels of detection of 400-metre long tunnel in Jammu and Kashmir’s Samba sector on July 28 and subsequent lodging of strong protest over the tunnel issue on July 31.
- Pak I-Day: India, Pak troops exchanges sweets at Poonch
- Pak violates ceasefire twice, fires at Indian posts
- Pak violates ceasefire, fires on Indian posts in Jammu
- Heavy firing on Indian posts in Poonch by Pakistan
- Pak violates ceasefire, BSF jawan injured in firing
- India, Pak troops exchange sweets on the border on Id
- Pak troops resort to firing, rocket attacks on Indian posts
- Pak Rangers fire small arms on Indian Posts in Samba
- BSF DG visit tunnel area in Samba sector in JK
- Army lodges protest with Pak over ceasefire violations