The polling date for the Panjab University Student Council election has yet to be finalized but tense rivalry between campus parties has already created a highly volatile situation.
The polling date for the Panjab University Student Council election has yet to be finalized but campaigning is in full swing. On Tuesday police arrested 21 students involved in a clash between SOPU and PUSU supporters. Dean Student Welfare Prof A .S. Ahluwalia said that action would be taken against the brawlers after reviewing reports from police and PU security staff.
The DSW cautioned the student leaders that the election can be cancelled if such incidents occur again. The DSW said that the authorities had taken various measures to ensure peaceful conduct of the poll in the colleges and on the PU campus.
Meanwhile Sector 11 Police Station SHO Gurmukh Singh told media that the more policemen have been deployed on the university campus had been increased in view of the intense party rivalries. The police will carry out frequent searches of the hostels to discover outsiders and weapons.
- SOPU, PUSU major rivals on PU Chandigarh
- Student parties introducing themselves via help desks in PU
- Campaigning intensifies in PU Chandigarh
- DAV shies away from student elections
- Student leader hurt in campus violence in DAV Chandigarh
- PU student senate elections are due in September
- 4 held for shooting PU Chandigarh student leader
- Girls ornamental at best in PU student politics
- Security beefed up on PU campus
- 70 outsiders found in PU boys hostels