Delhi Government today doubled the cash reward for Olympic silver medallist wrestler Sushil Kumar to Rs two crore from earlier announced Rs one crore. The decision to hike the cash award was taken at a cabinet meeting presided by Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit. “We have decided to present an award of Rs two crore to Sushil Kumar.
He made the whole country proud and the cabinet felt we should enhance the award,” Dikshit said after the meeting. Kumar, who hails from Delhi, is the first Indian wrestler to strike silver in wrestling competitions at Olympics. Dikshit had announced an award of Rs one crore after he won the silver medal on Sunday in the 66kg freestyle wrestling event Kumar recorded his name in the country’s sports history annals by becoming the first ever sportsperson to win back-to- back individual Olympic medals, having won a bronze at the 2008 Beijing Games.
Wrestling and shooting provided India two medals each, while women boxing and badminton added one medal each.
- HP CM recommends Vijay Kumar for Rajiv Gandhi Kel Ratna
- Dikshit wishes luck to wrestler Sushil Kumar
- Rs 1 crore for Olympic silver winner shooter Vijay Kumar
- Prime Minister congratulates Sushil on winning silver
- Maximum state players in Olympics due to sports policy: Hooda
- Solan BSNL AGM Sushil Kumar found murdered
- Delhi govt acting under influence of Sajjan kumar
- CBI doubles reward to Rs 10 Lakh for info on missing Bhanwari
- KBC’s 5 crore winner Sushil Kumar wore shoes for second time in life
- Sukhbir congratulates Vijay Kumar for clinching silver