Controversial former Haryana Minister Gopal Kanda surrendered before police early this morning and was arrested, 13 days after the suicide of his former employee, who accused him of abetting her suicide. Kanda who was “absconding” for the past 10 days after police served him a notice to appear before them to join investigations, surfaced at Bharat Nagar police station at 4 AM. Before entering police station, he told reporters that he was joining investigations as directed by Delhi police.
“Kanda has surrendered and we have arrested him,” P Karunakaran, Deputy Commissioner of Police (North-West) told PTI. His employee, Aruna Chaddha, a senior functionary with now defunct MDLR airlines, has already been arrested and is in judicial custody in connection with the suicide of Geetika Sharma, who allegedly took her life on August 5 in her Ashok Vihar residence.
In her suicide note, Geetika had alleged that Kanda and Chaddha were harassing her to rejoin the former minister’s firm after she left the job. The anticipatory bail plea of Kanda had also been dismissed by the Delhi High Court earlier yesterday. The Rohini Court on Thursday issued a Non Bailable Warrant (NBW) against former Haryana Minister Gopal Kanda. The court asked the police to execute the arrest warrant by August 24. Delhi Police had conducted over 60 searches and raids in Haryana, Goa and Siliguri in West Bengal, besides questioning around 30 people. His brother Govind Kanda was also arrested yesterday for allegedly helping Kanda to evade police. Kanda, who was last seen coming out of his Gurgaon residence on August 8, was served with a notice to join investigations on August 7.
- Geetika suicide case: Kanda moves Delhi HC for bail
- Court rejects Kanda’s anticipatory bail plea
- Fresh raids at Kanda’s residence, ex-minister yet to be traced
- Delhi Police take Kanda’s kin into custody
- HC verdict on Kanda’s anticipatory bail plea tomorrow
- Gopal Kanda continues to elude police
- Kanda goes absconding, ex-MDLR woman employee arrested
- Geetika suicide: Kanda seeks bail, terms her “hypersensitive”
- Look-out notice issued against Kanda
- Geetika suicide case: Delhi HC reserves order on Kanda’s bail