Sports Minister Ajay Maken today urged India’s private sectors to play a more active role in supporting the country’s budding sportspersons in order to fuel their Olympic dreams and added that he had asked the NRAI to import ammunitions to make shooters’ life much easier.
“SAI till now was importing ammunitions but as it often gets stuck in wrangling, I have asked the NRAI to import ammunitions, so as to broadbase the sport,” Maken said on the sidelines of a felicitation ceremony organised jointly by NRAI and FICCI in honour of London Olympics silver and bronze medallists Vijay Kumar and Gagan Narang, respectively.
“You would be surprised to know that out of the 81 athletes for London Games, 65 are employed with government sectors. That shows that the private sectors need to provide more support.
“They should scout young players and support the 12-13-year-olds. On February 4 last year, I had called a meeting of sports ministers of all northeastern states and private sectors and urged them to do more. We are all stakeholders,” he said.
Asked about army shooter Vijay’s grievance over promotion in his job, Make said, “It is a shame that sportspersons have to ask for promotion. They are the pride of our country and we should not wait for them to ask for promotion. They should be given with all the honour.”
He further stated that “SAI has 200 vacancies for coaches”.”All Olympians would be recruited as group b level officers, for eg a DCP in Delhi. While the medallists would be recruited as group A level officers, like IAS level posts,” he said.
Maken also said that the cabinet has passed a resolution under which all athletes who have played in Asiad, CWG, World Championships and those who create records in nationals would immediately get out-of-turn promotions.
SAI is also planning to open national sports science institue to produce “internationally acclaimed” mental trainers.
- Badal asks intellectuals to play pro-active role in state devp
- KPs should play role in transformation process in J&K: Mufti
- Toss to play vital role in Ind-Aus first Test
- Rahul to play ‘much more proactive role’ in Cong: Digvijay
- Everyone in Cong wants Rahul to play bigger role: Khurshid
- States can play a big role in improving investments: Montek
- Younger generation must play important role in politics:Pranab
- Indian-Americans play key role in Obama and Romney campaigns
- Anti-incumbency will play major role in Punjab polls: Soni
- FM asks private banks to focus on improving customer service