Intensifying the drive against unsafe or undocumented vehicles, the State Transport Authority challaned 339 and impounded 91 vehicles in July.
In anticipation of Independence Day, the Chandigarh Traffic Police is also out in full force. They are going after drivers who commit visible violations and committing random checks to detect persons driving without documents.
Warning to drivers: strictly observe traffic rules, get your pollution check done, don’t overload or carry awkward loads and make sure that all your documents are in order. Both the State Transport Authority and the Chandigarh Traffic Police has launched a crack-down and they have spread out all over the city.
Balbir Singh Dhol, the State Transport Authority, informed that fines in July have totalled nine lakh seventy seven thousand rupees.
The vehicles that have been challaned include 181 trucks, 11 tourist buses, 15 school buses, 182 auto rickshaws, 31 taxis and nine tractors. 91 vehicles were also impounded during the drive. Autorickshaws have been challaned for overloading, not charging fare as per fare meters and drivers not wearing uniforms.
The Chandigarh Traffic Police set up special nakas on the night intervening Friday and Saturday. Of the 1938 vehicles checked, 113 vehicles were challaned for various offences and four vehicles were impounded. Seven drivers were challaned. At one naka, an auto rickshaw was intercepted carrying narcotics. Ten kilos of poppy husk were recovered from the vehicle.
The same exercise will be carried out on the intervening night of Saturday-Sunday from 11 p.m. to 4 a.m.Aside from checking vehicles; police are paying close attention to Labour Colonies, villages and slums. Police carried out a door-to-door check in Bapu Dham Colony in Sector 26. During this exercise, a proclaimed offender in a NDPS case was nabbed. Police noted 28 persons who could produce no proof of their identity.
- 31 drivers challaned at three checkposts in Chandigarh
- Chandigarh Traffic Police removed wrongly parked vehicles
- PCR staff join hands with traffic Police in Chandigarh
- STA to conduct stringent checks on vehicles
- 644 people challaned via Facebook page of Chandigarh Traffic Police
- Chandigarh police making traffic violators watch film
- Chandigarh Traffic police to chase violators on bikes
- 5 VIP cars with black film challaned in Chandigarh
- Chandigarh to get integrated traffic system
- Traffic snarls dampen festive cheer in Chandigarh