The father of India’s ‘white revolution’ Dr Verghese Kurien passed away early this morning at Muljibhai Patel Urological Hospital in neighbouring Nadiad town due to age-related problems, Gujarat Co-operative Milk Marketing Federation (GCMMF) sources said.
He was 90 years old and is survived by wife and daughter. Kurien, who took India from being a milk-deficient country to the world’s largest milk producer, is recognized as the father of white revolution and the man who started ‘operation flood’, besides making the Amul dairy brand a household name. GCMMF chairman M S Sodhi had reached the hospital, sources said. Kurien’s 90th birthday was celebrated in a big way at his residence in Anand by the GCMMF on November 26 last year.
- Kurien elected RS Dy Chairman as oppn, Cong display rare unity
- Union minister Vilasrao Deshmukh passes away
- NIA founder DG R V Raju passes away
- Mehdi Hassan passes away in Karachi
- Wholesale milk price up 34 pc in last 3 yrs
- Punjab govt to promote milk production among farmers
- Ghazal singer Jagjit Singh passes away, funeral today
- Dara Singh passes away
- Mother Dairy hikes milk prices by Rs 2 per litre
- Milk venders to stop sale of pasteurised packed milk in Shimla