Kashmir valley is famous for production of a variety of fruits including almonds. Almond growers feel particularly elated this year as favorable climatic conditions have bore bumper crop thereby erasing erasing last year’s losses.
Kashmir valley is famous for production of a variety of fruits such as apples, pears, cherries, grapes, pomegranates, mulberry, peaches, apricots, walnuts and almonds.The region’s fruit crop is popular all over the country due to consistent quality and taste.
Youth of Werwan Village, which is 40 km from Srinagar city are busy with almond harvesting. The village produces some of the best almond varieties and eighty five percent of the residents are dependent on almond business for their livelihood. Almond growers feel particularly elated this year as favorable climatic conditions have bore bumper crop thereby erasing erasing last year’s losses…Cool climate, moderate rainfall and bright sunny days translated into good turnover for almond growers.
Almonds have different varieties including Shalimar, Makdoon and Waris. However, maximum emphasis by state horticulture department is laid on Kagzi variety, an almond with soft shell, due to its production capacity and late blooming properties. The quality produce has also led to rise in demand from outside the state.
- EU team visits Punjab to check potato crop
- Hailstorm, unusually cold weather hit apple crop
- Rain damages wheat crop
- Rain,strom may sour taste of mango crop
- Haryana cotton growers sell crop in Punjab due to strike
- Hailstorm hits crop in Himachal
- Punjab Kinnow growers face 50 pc drop in returns
- Dhumal launch Crop Diversification Scheme
- Apple growers peeved at sharp drop in prices
- Hailstorm damage 80 pc Apple crop